Monday, June 14, 2010

No way. NO.WAY.

I didn't really get much of a chance to blog last week. For starters, my neighbors have been out of town so I'm pretty sure they turned their Internet off while they were gone. And, since their signal just happens to trespass into my computer room, their departure meant the Internet decided to stay home.

The more important reason I didn't blog? This week, I got to understand what it's like to be a single mom. And ya'll, it sucks.

Now before you run of thinking that the hubs hit the road, let me explain. Paul was going through some training during the day, and was working his normal shift in the evenings. So he was leaving at 7 a.m. and getting home, completely exhausted, at midnight, just to do it again.

Ansley found her way into my bed each morning about 7, where she used me as a jungle gym as we watched Arthur (which, by the way, there is an episode of Arthur about head lice, just an fyi). We got up at 7:30. Ansley had her rice and fruit, then a diaper change.

While I showered, she played in the bathroom floor. I fixed my hair, did the make-up and got dressed while she happily (normally) sat in the floor playing with Rascal or mommy's foam rollers.

Then I gathered everything up, put Ansley in the car, drove about 10 minutes out of my way to drop her off with my blessed sister who so kindly "offered" to watch the kiddo while I was at work. I arrived at work about 5 minutes late, which, considering I live less than one minute from work if I drive there, yet I still manage to be late, was pretty impressive.

I'd work til 5, then head back to pick up the kiddo and go home. Mornings were the same all week. Paul did get to come home early two evenings though (really three, but because he had to work 3rd shift that night, he slept from about 5 p.m to 9 p.m.). And what did I learn?

1. I learned I never want to be a single mom, EVER. Even though Ansley was fairly easy to handle, it was still a struggle to get myself ready for work, the dogs fed and put out, and Ansley ready to go. On top of that, trying to clean up after getting ready was nearly impossible, and I was lucky if my breakfast made it out the door with me.

2. I have a new respect for single moms. I've always respected them, but this week made it that much more real to me. Especially when they still manage to look gorgeous while doing it. How is that even possible?

3. Sometimes, you just have to let the babe cry, because it isn't a good idea to try and use a flat iron with the baby on your hip.

4. It is such a blessing to have a sister that is home visiting and considers it a PLEASURE to keep the kiddo for 8 hours a day for no money, but the status of "favorite aunt."

5. Crawling babies need more food, or they will become babies who wake up in the middle of the night hungry.

6. It doesn't matter how long you ignore the monitor and pretend to still be asleep, if your husband is tired enough, he's not going to wake up.

7. If you make enough appearances in public sans husband, people will ask you if you are still married.

8. Sometimes, it's worth skipping lunch just to catch a nap.

9. Never, NEVER take for granted the generosity of someone willing to hold the baby while you eat, or go to the bathroom, or breathe. It's beautiful.

10. Pop-Tarts are perfectly acceptable for dinner.

It is difficult when Paul works such a strange schedule. It's flippin' hard and I feel like I'm going to pull my hair out sometimes (like when I FINALLY get Ansley down and Bunker decides to run through the house barking and chasing the cat, that actually should be outside but isn't because I can't catch him because the dog is chasing him and the baby is crying and my cell phone is ringing and I'm missing the season finale of Glee), but I have that reassurance that my husband will be home. Eventually.

And, if I need him to, he'll stay up with Ansley, even if he's tired. Because he loves us. And, he'll even watch Glee.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had that kind of week. My husband has been home but working on the car every evening so I can sort of relate. Nothing like trying to get three sets of teeth brushed and flossed while the baby's screaming to be fed in the other room. I'm glad I don't have to deal with dogs. :) Sounds like you've been doing a great job.

    By the way...I've done the poptart dinner but this week it's been bbq chips. :)

    ReplyDelete