Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I promise. My hair is naturally brown.

I recently hosted a baby shower for my bestie. It was the first time I had ever hosted a party, and I didn't think it would be too difficult. Plus, I had a seasoned shower hoster helping me out.

Food. Check.
Decorations. Check.
Invitations. Check.
Contacting all the invites to tell them the right date since the wrong date was put on the cards. Check.
Games. Check.
Prizes for the winners of the games. Check.

We had such a fun time. The friend seemed to have fun, and the gifts were presh. Win. Or, so I thought.

So, last night, I was at a lingerie shower for a former coworker. We played a super fun game, with clever little candy prizes. The bestie leans over and asks, "So, is this the type of shower where you have to give the prizes to the person of honor?" WHAT? Give the gift to the person of honor??

Suddenly I traced back through the previous showers I had attended.

Why did everyone give the pregnant lady their prizes for winning that game?
That's funny. Why did I get this cute little blanket that a friend won at my baby shower?
Why in the world are these prizes all baby related? The only one here that's pregnant is the person the shower is for, and, well, me, but it's still a secret.
Why, why, why??

Suddenly, it all began to fall into place.

I didn't know that's what was supposed to happen at a shower. I've always kept the prizes I won. Man, I must have looked like a jerk. But that's not the best part.

Last night, I suddenly understood what was so funny during the shower I hosted. Three games. Three prizes.

First prize: lime green beach bag with matching water bottle.
Second prize: pink beach bag, with matching water bottle.
Third prize: blue beach bag, WITH A MATCHING WATER BOTTLE!

Absolute, complete, utter failure.

1 comment:

  1. Totally not a failure. Just think, she loves the beach. She will totally use that stuff.

    ReplyDelete