Friday, October 1, 2010

A Walking Book of Words

Ansley may not have any teeth. She may not be able to really walk. But her vocabulary is quickly expanding.

It seems like every day, we get a new word. And, they're not just random words either. She will point to something AND NAME IT.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm watching Adam in the Garden. Ansley will look at an object, turn her head, and I can actually see the wheels turning. Then, she'll name it, and be pleased with herself.

A few days ago, she was sitting in the floor of the bathroom while I was getting ready for work. I stopped to watch her as I was certain she was about to dump everything out of the magazine rack. Instead, she picked up a magazine, turned it over a few times, said "book" and put it back in the rack.

I didn't know what to do! And, it keeps happening.

We've had "Momma" and "Dada" for some time. And, not just the random babbles, but actually reaching for us and saying our names. Then, we added "dog." Granted, anything with fur is currently a dog, and when we try to correct her to say "cat," she just starts laughing. We added "book," "nana" (which, means both "banana" and "want), "Nan A," "Poppa," and "blue."

I know that if I had "My Baby Can Read," Ansley would already have the Declaration of Independence memorized, but, we're going on what we've got here. And, honestly, I think we're doing good.

1 comment:

  1. Awww....I can't wait to hear her in person. SOOOO exciting. What a HOOT!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete