Wednesday, March 10, 2010


So, because I went into labor five weeks early, we were not prepared for Ansley's arrival. We managed to make it to the hospital with most things in tow:

Hairdrier, mousse, comfy clothes, slippers, plenty of socks, soap, shampoo, even conditioner, make-up, toothbrush, toothpaste, cell phones, chargers, a great book to read.

However, we forgot one very important item. The camera.

Yes, that's right. I had my very first child and didn't have a camera to document it. Now, you may be thinking the problem could have been solved in a number of ways. Let's take a look.

"Have your hubby run home and get it." Yeah, that would have been a great idea. If we didn't live a little over an hour from the hospital. It was a no go.

"Have your parents bring theirs when they come." My parents were in New Mexico helping my sister move, while Paul's parents were in Arizona on a business trip. Yup, that option was out.

"Run to a Walmart and pick up a disposable." Not only did little Ansley decide to come 5 weeks early, she decided to arrive during the worst flooding I have seen in my lifetime. It started raining the afternoon I was in labor, and didn't stop for about five days. By the time she made her entrance, several roads were closed and the parking lot was under water. The hospital eventually stopped letting people come and go. If you were there, you were staying, if you were coming, you weren't getting through the road blocks.

Luckily, in today's world of gadgets and gizmos a plenty, I did happen to have my camera phone. Not that the pictures are top quality or anything, but at least we have a couple. Besides, everyone was in such a rush after she was born, we didn't get to hold her or even take any pictures until she was already in the NICU.

So, after months, and months of not doing anything, I finally made it a point to get the early pictures off my phone. I thought I would share just a couple.

So, there they are. The first pictures of little A. Every day I'm still amazed that she was such a close part of me. Now, even at the ripe old age of 5 months, she has a temper and a selfish streak that can give any Diva a run for their money.
But, she still has her moments. Her sweet, cuddly moments when she's had enough of the outside world, and she's ready to be back with Mommy. She grabs her little bear, takes her binkie and snuggles in to Mommy's neck for a rest. And it is during those times, when I feel her warm breath, or her constant hiccups, that I'm reminded of when we would settle into bed. I would get comfy, then Ansley would shift around, and after a few kicks to the ribs, she would settle in, and we would sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty doggone good pictures especially from a camera phone. SHe's a doll!