Sunday, January 8, 2012

Undone

After a long stay in our home, our beautiful, 11 foot frazier fur tree was removed from the home today.  I would like to say that it was bittersweet, but the only thing bitter about it was how I was starting to feel about it still being in my home.

I love the beauty of Christmas. I love the lights and the decorations and the candles and the cookies. I love it after Thanksgiving, not before. And when it is time for it to go, I want it gone.

I treasure the meaning behind the holiday. And I know it is so much more than gifts and goodies and lights and trees. The meaning is always important to me, no matter the time of the year.  But, the tree? It was dead. Beyond dead. We're talking fire hazard dead.

So many needles on my floor. On my porch. Now on my sidewalk. Though the tree is currently in the middle of my yard, I have reclaimed my living room.

I know there are some that still have their beautiful trees still up. And I know that there are some...ahem...my mom, who have the tree down and decorations gone on Dec. 26. I like to think I fall some place in the middle.

Last year we put a small, live tree in Ansley's room and decorated it for Christmas. It was cute and festive. And wasn't taken down until, um, May or June?

Ok, so, maybe that was a little long. And very dead. But I took it down.

Eventually.

Happy Undecoration Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment